Five things to do on Catalina in the rain
Santa Catalina’s temperate weather and prolonged drought have allowed many people to forget that the island offers plenty to do when it rains. From exploring to relaxing, massages to shopping, plenty of activities on Catalina Island don’t require the sun. Here are our favorite things to do on Catalina when it rains.
- Get a massage: There are several massage therapists and day spas on Catalina Island. Treat yourself to a massage, a body scrub or a facial.
- Explore underwater: Catalina Island’s fascinating marine life doesn’t seem to care when it’s raining. Whether you stay dry in a semi-submersible or join the fish by snorkeling or scuba diving, the underwater world is a remarkable place to explore.
- Go shopping: Shopping on Catalina Island includes everything from art work to clothing, jewelry to souvenirs and home décor to collectibles. Spend an afternoon treasure hunting in Avalon’s many shops and stores.
- Step back in time: The Catalina Island Museum, currently located on the bottom floor of the Catalina Casino, showcases more than 7,000 years of human habitation on Santa Catalina.
- See a movie: When it rains in the evening, the best place to be is the Avalon Theatre, one of the most beautiful movie theaters in the country. Enjoy a first-run movie while surrounded by compelling Art Deco murals.