We’re looking forward to 2016 on Catalina Island
Catalina in 2016 has a lot to look forward to. Here are just a few of the many things we’re excited about:
- The Catalina Island Museum. 2016 will see the opening of the Ada Blanche Wrigley Schreiner Museum, a dynamic new showcase for Catalina Island history. The 18,000-square-foot facility, located on Metropole Avenue, will feature galleries devoted to Catalina Island history as well as rotating exhibits and public spaces.
- Conservation is central to Catalina Island, whether that’s conserving the island’s water resources or protecting native species through the Catalina Island Conservancy. While we hope El Nino will bring enough rain to alleviate the Island’s drought, we know that the Conservancy’s efforts to protect the island will preserve Catalina Island in perpetuity.
- Avalon’s city election will be held in April. The Avalon City Council is responsible for the City of Avalon, Catalina Island’s only city. With only about 2,000 registered voters, elections on the island tend to be hotly contested.
- The Catalina Island calendar of events is always full of great things to do and 2016 is no exception. Athletic events, concerts and festivals can be found all year long.
- Whether you’ve visited once or lived here for a lifetime, Catalina Island provides a vast canvas for exploring and discovering new adventures.