No rental car needed here!
Catalina Island has very few autos, and those that are here must have a special permit issued by the city of Avalon. Primary means of transportation for local residents are walking and golf carts!
Guests to the island have a few options for getting around Avalon:
- Walking – Since Avalon is only about one square mile in size, it is pretty easy to get around on foot, and what a great way to enjoy the town and the view!
- Taxi – Cabs meet each arriving boat to the island, and if you’re flying in by helicopter, the pilot will request that a cab be available for your arrival at the heliport. There is also a taxi stand in the center of town where you can catch a cab. Taxi service is available to all locations in Avalon.
- Royal Catalina Carriage – If you’re coming to the island to get married, to celebrate an anniversary or birthday, or you just want to treat yourself to something special, Catalina Transportation Services offers a “Cinderella” type golf cart with a white-gloved chauffeur and complimentary champagne. Call 310.510.0342 for more information.
- Bicycles & Golf Carts – Both are available to rent in several locations for a few hours so you can go exploring.
If you’re interested in exploring beyond Avalon, you have the following options:
- Private Charters – Seven passenger vans may be chartered to take you into the interior of the island. Visit Airport-in-the-Sky for lunch or dinner, see Shark and Little Harbors, or travel to the quaint village of Two Harbors. Call 310.510.0342 for more information.
- Shuttle Bus – This is available to take you to the Airport-in-the-Sky and Two Harbors. Catch it at the Discovery Plaza.
- Tours – What would a vacation destination be without tours.
- Hiking – What a great way to really see and experience the island! Hiking permits and trail maps are available at the Catalina Island Conservancy office.
Click for Area Map.